Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Meet the Maids - Kristen Schlautman




The counter says 31 days until the wedding. I have three bridesmaids to introduce. Let’s get to it, shall we?

Kristen Schlautman is my soon-to-be-sister-in-law. She just got married this past February, and was kind enough to ask me to be a bridesmaid, and to include Maddy as a junior bridesmaid.

I almost ruined it, though. She had asked me to go to a bridal shop with her to look at some dresses. While we were browsing through the racks, I said, “I heard that you’re supposed to choose ugly people as your bridesmaids, then you’ll look twice as good!” I was totally kidding, and wasn’t even thinking she was going to ask me to be in her wedding.

A few days later we had lunch, and she asked me then. I was so surprised and so touched that she would include me and Maddy. Then she told me she had planned to ask me that day at the bridal shop, but after my ugly comment she wasn’t sure if I’d be flattered or offended.

She was sweet enough to watch Maddy for us recently while we went out. When we got home she said, “thank God you’re here, I’m exhausted!” Apparently Maddy had talked her into playing catch, kicking the soccer ball, going on a bike ride around the neighborhood, going to DQ to get some ice cream, and then throwing a racquet ball in the house. Kristen finally hid the racquet ball from her, and told Maddy to get ready for bed. Kristen said that if all kids were that energetic, she’d need to get in shape before she had any of her own.

Famous last words, because a couple of months later, she broke the news that she was pregnant. I am so excited and so happy for her. She’s going to be a fantastic mom.
She also should be a professional bridesmaid. In addition to being the bride in her own wedding in February, she was a bridesmaid in June, she'll be mine in September, one more in October, and a short break to have a baby before standing up yet again one next June. Even while she's pregnant and not feeling so hot, she's planned and participated in the required bridal events without a word of complaint, and still looks amazing.

She’s like the sister I never had but always wanted. We’ve played bingo, gone shopping, traded advice about wedding etiquette, had conversations about the importance of shoes, she’s taken care of me when I got a little, uh, inebriated, and she’s accepted me and Maddy into her life like we always belonged there.

No comments: